- SENIOR FULL-STACK ENGINEER
- MACHINE LEARNING ENGINEER
Ambitious, adaptable full-stack engineer with 11+ years of experience mentoring motivated teams of developers while developing creative solutions for identified business problems. Collaborative team player with a passion for building, developing, and improving best-in-class architecture and applications that enhance the user experience.
May 2017 - Present
Simple Health (formerly Simple Contacts) NYC, Remote
Lead end-to-end solution for multiple direct-to-consumer medical products, and substantially contribute and improve architecture and implementation of backend infrastructure. Drive technical direction, planning, architecture, and Agile and Kanban implementations of numerous features, and mentor team of junior developers.
- Implemented E2E solution enabling submission of patient insurance card photos via a mobile app, using OCR and an algorithm to process required information and crop and rotate card for improved viewing.
- Improved UI/UX of numerous features on website and mobile app, including the patient health exam flow and enabling server side rendering for better SEO.
- Refactor code, improved API stability, incorporating GraphQL, and improved developer workflow with the API.
- Transformed mobile eye exam from basic video recorder into intelligent, responsive cross-platform interactive test, reducing cancellations by 20%, reducing retakes and providing more data on malfunctions.
- Used deep learning detector model, YOLO, to train face detection model with labeled data from the exam, leading to nearly zero false-positives.
- Built exam flow logic and custom machine learning models on GPU machines for face detection, eye occlusion, distance calculations, and speech detection from labeled data.
- Introduced series of code-mods and custom linting rules to automatically update or refactor codebase, which improved productivity and consistency of a coding style less prone to bugs.
July 2016 - May 2017
Lenovo (Airclass software product) Remote
Actively contributed to code and ensure Scrum process is conducted for immersive online educational platform that is experienced similar to a live training environment.
- Simulated constrained networks, setup media servers to fallback to TCP, and coordinated effort to use port 443 for all WebRTC transmissions to ensure systems operated correctly and ensure 0% system failure rate in constrained corporate environments.
- Architected successful real time annotations feature, which has been integrated into other products, like the LANSchool product (highest revenue grossing product for Lenovo Software in the education sector).
- Revamped "test" page visible prior to joining a virtual classroom, which reduced user technical difficulties by ensuring camera and microphone installation, video streaming ability, and detection of poor network connection.
Feb. 2015 - July 2016
Co-Founder / Chief Technology Officer
Quinncia (StartupNext Boston accelerator company) NYC, Remote
Independently developed and designed successful robust autonomous interviewer to enhance student engagement with career services and optimize career counselor workflows with plugin-free video recordings on the web, video post-processing, auto-generated questions from an OCR'd resume, and audio visualizations.
- Partnered with 4+ universities and online education company with extensive interest from new education partners (company has since partnered with 40+ universities).
- Independently built MongoDB and Node.js backend API and real time React frontend.
- Experimented with design elements in gamification, such as presenting comprehensive score, badges, and graphs to encourage and display student improvement.
- Solicited user feedback and collaborated with designer, and continuously iterated on the design to improve UI/UX.
- Integrated site with session replay tools, heat maps, and an A/B testing framework, and built or incorporated complex features like Text-2-Speech and "filler word" detection via IBM Watson.
Dec. 2014 - Jan. 2015
teamDigital Greater NYC
- Used Websockets, Node.js and PHP/Laravel backend to enable real time moderation and judging of multiple contests across SoundCloud, MLB, and NFL organizations.
- Repurposed platform as a universal moderation and judging tool for other contests given substantial success.
July 2009 - Dec. 2014
Social Psychology Network (funded by National Science Foundation) Wesleyan University - Middletown, CT
- Migrated hosting of platform onto the cloud.
- Created largest course on Coursera, "Social Psychology," for hundreds of thousands of students.
- Worked with Coursera directly to include a unique course feature, which monitored how student thinking changed by occasionally asking the same questions throughout the course.
Master of Arts in Liberal Arts | Wesleyan University
Bachelor of Science in Computer Science | Indiana University
TOP TECHNICAL SKILLS
- Web Platform
- System & Network Architecture
- Machine Learning
- React Native
- Static Analysis